Tagged by the fearless and gregarious Mark Surman, I semi-reluctantly allow myself to become a vector for the 7 things meme/social virus. I suspect Patient Zero to be a Mozillian. So here are…. 7 things about me:
- At 13, for reasons I cannot fully recreate, I became an Army Cadet. Worse, I actually volunteered for a 6 week summer boot camp, which was pretty much as physically and psychologically grueling as grown-up boot camp except it was run by 14 and 15 year olds. Think Lord of the Flies meets Be All You Can Be. Left me with an abiding hatred of petty power mongers and mindless bureaucracies.
- I went to Brazil as an exchange student when I was 17. A year in Brazil cracked open my Anglican, stiff-upper-lip, “mustn’t grumble” soul and filled it full of Samba, emotion, and a love of all things Brazilian.
- I fell from the 11th floor of a 12 story apartment building. Happily, the safety rope was better secured than the rope holding the seat I was perched on painting the outside of the building. I only actually fell about 3 metres. Climbing back up the rope after holding on to it on the way down was memorable.
- If talent were not a large and insurmountable obstacle, I would choose to be a musician. Jazz with a heavy dose of George Clinton and Bootsy Collins thrown in for good measure but actually any kind of music would be fine as long as it was played with other people.
- At the age of 32, I took 6 months and drove a BMW R100GS motorcyle from Cape Town to Cairo. No corporate sponsorships, no famous sidekicks. Damn you Ewan Macgregor. I have a subconscious fear that I may not top this before I die.
- I’ve had tea with Nelson Mandela. I did nothing to deserve it. I was just a hanger on and it irritates the crap out of my South African friends who haven’t but who have done more for South Africa than I could ever possibly dream of doing. Still feel lucky though.
- I love dancing but often feel socially awkward. Once I get going through, my style is unique, possibly unsafe.
This meme has rules and they are:
- Link to your original tagger(s) and list these rules in your post.
- Share seven facts about yourself in the post.
- Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.
- Let them know they’ve been tagged.
So, having been done unto, allow me to do unto:
Philipp Schmidt – because we always have killer conversations
Laurent Elder – because he really ought to blog more
Mark Horner – yes you too MH
Andrew Rens – because passion has got to come from somewhere
Steve Vosloo – because there is always something unexpected from Steve
Katherine – because Katherine is a beautiful riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma